Wednesday, June 20, 2007

1st Post

Welcome to the West Hills Wine Blog. The name has a few meanings, but I think is still universal enough to not limit itself. So why the "West Hills"? First, I live in the West Hills of Portland, OR. Second, the majority of the grape growing in the Willamette Valley happens in the west hills of the valley. Third, the Cascade mountain range could be considered the "West Hills" of the United States. So the name encompases the focuses of this blog, which will be as follows (in increasing priority):

1. West Coast of North America (CA, OR, WA, BC, ID)
2. Pacific NW (OR, WA)
3. Oregon
4. Willamette Valley (Including all 6 Sub-AVAs)

So you'll see most of the posts are about Willamette Valley wines and interests, but I'll also talk about the other AVAs of Oregon, as well as some Washington and Idaho wines. On a rare occassion, there might be something thrown in here about California, but I think that state gets enough press about it.

The purpose of this blog is to talk about everything wine. I got into wine thanks to my fiance. My friends consider me a "wine snob", but I think that just comes from knowing a decent amount about wine, and having an opinion about what I drink. I plan to blog about my experiences of being a 20-something in a culture of 40 and 50 year olds. I go wine tasting quite often, so I plan to blog about what I taste, what I like, and what I don't like. I don't have years of knowledge that make me an expert. I'm just a guy who likes wine, and I want to share my experiences with anybody who wants to read them.

No comments: